The SSSTS or Site Supervisor’s Safety Training Scheme is an industry-recognised course covering a wide range of areas associated with construction and civil engineering sites. Endorsed by the United Kingdom Contractors Group (UKCG), an SSSTS training course will include understanding the laws and regulations surrounding health and safety, risk assessments, the management of hazard substances, as well as fire control and prevention.
Who is SSSTS training for?
Conducted online over a two day period involving case studies and assessed exercises, the SSSTS training programme has been designed for all supervisors, team leaders and anyone on a construction site that is in a supervisory role.
Whether delegates have just entered a supervisory role, or have a basic level of understanding, they will learn about the most recent and up-to-date health and safety procedures to protect staff on construction and civil engineering sites.
By the end of the course, delegates will have an in-depth understanding of the challenges involved in running construction sites, as well as valuable working knowledge about protecting employees on-site, current health and safety legislation, identifying hazards and how to minimise risk, as well as implementing welfare and safety best practices.
What will I learn on an SSSTS course?
It’s important that participants of the course attend both days, and complete an exam made up of multiple choice and written questions, to be awarded an SSSTS certificate. The course will cover:
- The role of a supervisor and their responsibilities
- The UK legal system
- Risk assessment procedures
- The Health & Safety At Work Act 1974
- Occupational health, including how to construct a program for better health
- Working at height – assessment and safety measures
- Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015
- The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013
- Presentation skills
Providing a pass rate of 81% has been achieved in the exam at the end of the course, an SSSTS certificate will be awarded which is valid for a 5 year period. However, we would highly recommend that an SSSTS Refresher course is taken within 3 years to ensure participants are kept up-to-date with the latest regulations and legislation.
What are the benefits of an SSSTS course?
As well as being an industry-recognised standard in the construction and civil engineering sectors, delegates will learn new skills, and develop existing ones, to ensure they have the knowledge and capabilities to run a site effectively and safely. The benefits of taking an SSSTS online course include:
- Industry-recognised qualification – those that have achieved their SSSTS certification are able to prove they have the recognised standard of knowledge and skills to be able to promote health, safety and welfare best practices on any construction or civil engineering site.
- Career progression – an SSSTS qualification goes a long way in establishing and progressing to a career in a supervisory role, as well as upgrading to a more senior management role. Indeed, some employers may require an SSSTS certificate for roles that are at supervisory level or above.
- Builds knowledge and skills – ideal for people stepping up into a supervisory as an SSSTS course will further their knowledge and expand their skills.
- Develops a better understanding – of the health, welfare and safety requirements, as well as environmental aspects, of running a construction or civil engineering site in the UK.
Target Zero’s CITB SSSTS training courses can be conducted at one of our locations or online. Alternatively, we are able to tailor an SSSTS and SMSTS training programme specific to your company’s requirements.