The SMSTS (Site Management Safety Training Scheme) is a qualification that any site manager, project manager, site owners and clients should have when working on a construction site in the UK. The industry-recognised training meets the increasing need for health and safety compliance on construction sites.
An SMSTS online course will ensure delegates learn about the necessary legislation that impacts working on a construction or civil engineering site, including risk assessments, control measures and working to health and safety best practices.
What do you learn on an SMSTS online course?
The online training course is over 5 days and is designed to cover health and safety legislation, risk assessments, identifying, monitoring and controlling common site hazards, as well as the responsibilities associated with senior management roles in the construction and civil engineering industries.
Through a combination of online sessions, case studies and classroom exercises assessed by the trainer, delegates will learn about:
- Working in confined spaces and at height
- Scaffolding – risk assessment and safety requirements
- Demolition and excavations
- Management of occupational health
- Risk assessments and method statements
- Hazard management – identifying, monitoring and controlling on-site hazards
- Behavioural safety
- Health and safety policies and procedures to protect the safety of workers on site
- Welfare and environment
Delegates will learn how to conduct regular on-site risk assessments, how to identify, monitor and control common hazards on construction sites and implement the health and safety policy. Delegates will better understand of their responsibilities for the health, welfare and safety of all workers on site.
What legislation does an SMSTS online course cover?
An SMSTS online course will also provide an overview of UK legislation and the implications working on a construction or civil engineering site:
- The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974
- Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015
- Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- Working at Height Regulations 2005
- Provision & Use of Work Equipment 1998
- Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
- Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
- Reporting of Injuries, Diseases & Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013
Achieving an SMSTS qualification
To achieve the SMSTS qualification the delegate must attend the full five days including the exam whch incorporates multiple choice and written questions. The pass rate is 81% and once an SMSTS Certificate is awarded, it is valid for 5 years. However, we would always recommend attending an SMSTS Refresher course after 3 years as health and safety legislation can change.
Ensure all project managers, site managers and other senior personnel on-site have an up-to-date SMSTS qualification with Target Zero’s comprehensive SMSTS online training course.