The CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) is the most respected in the construction and civil engineering industries. It provides site managers and others in a managerial or supervisory role with the skills, best practices and in-depth knowledge of all the necessary health and safety legislation and regulations necessary on a construction site.
SMSTS training can be done in a classroom, but more and more people are opting to take an SMSTS online course as it provides them with more flexibility and the option to study in a location that is suitable for them, and without the travel implications.
Why should I take an SMSTS online course?
SMSTS online courses are conducted via Zoom with a highly experienced health and safety professional Trainer. Delegates will follow exactly the same format as if they are in a classroom with full interaction with their Trainer and fellow delegates.
The MSTS online course provides delegates with the skills, resources and knowledge to enable them to do their job more effectively. This includes:
• Gaining an understanding of the current legislation pertaining to their job role, i.e. site manager.
• Learning how to establish the best and most effective forms of communication on site to create a dynamic workforce.
• Understanding their health and safety requirements and responsibilities for their staff and contractors, establishing a trusted health and safety culture on site.
• Gathering and implementing new health and safety guidance, and implementing new best practices.
For example, delegates will learn about fire prevention, the safety aspects that need to be put in place for people working at a height and how to manage dangerous situations. Being able to implement a full and thorough risk assessment of a construction site prior to the project commencing is a key skill in preparing for building.
What will the SMSTS training cover?
The SMSTS is a must for anyone working as a site manager on a construction or civil engineering site; in fact, it’s standard practice to ensure that anyone in on site management, including contractors and sub-contractors, know about health and safety in the workplace. This will help them identify and monitor any potential hazards, and manage any issues should they arise.
An SMSTS online course will cover a wide range of health and safety legislation and activities on site, including:
- The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.
- Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
- Reporting of Injuries, Diseases & Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.
- Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015.
- Working at Height Regulations 2005.
- Provision & Use of Work Equipment 1998.
- Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.
Delegates will also learn about the do’s and don’ts of scaffolding, electricity, confined spaces and excavations, how to conduct risk assessments and site briefings, and the best practices for setting up and preparing a site before work begins. Throughout the training, there will be regular exercises and assessments conducted, such as the 4 Core Exercises – Plan, Do, Check & Act (HSG 65) – to monitor progress and understanding. At the end of the course, there is an exam to be completed which is done via Zoom under exam conditions; this means delegates will be timed and monitored as they would be in a physical environment.
An SMSTS certificate is only valid for 5 years before a SMSTS Refresher course is required. This can be taken after 3 years but must be done before the end of the 5 year period to ensure site managers and others with an SMSTS certificate are completely up-to-date with the latest health and safety regulations and legislation.